founder of naked leader
Where to Listen – Ditto!
How to Lead your Boss (without them even knowing or caring)
Note – “her” refers to “him or her”
- Tell her how you would like to be led – in terms of style, behaviour and what you want to be empowered to do. On empowerment, be specific with real examples.
- Know her top three priorities – everything you do must relate to one or more of these (one will be status/power and another will be make/save money for the company – what’s her third?).
- Impress – get close to those that are close to her. Never run her down to anyone – she WILL hear about it – in this regard, trust no-one. If you know someone always repeats stuff, then tell that person what you want your boss to hear (“in confidence” – or it’s not worth repeating).
- Past behaviour = future behaviour. Soon you will give her the answers before you are asked the questions.
- See the world through the eyes of your boss’s boss – the person your boss most wants to impress.
- No surprises – ever. Ensure she knows what she needs to know, from you.
- Use the “Three-Minute Drill” to deliver concise proposals in six steps and three minutes (max).
- Describe the situation or scenario in 60 words or less.
- State the implications of the situation and why it matters in 60 words or less – what are the financial consequences?
- Provide an achievable task to be performed in 60 words or less.
- Provide three options for accomplishing the task in 150 words or less.
- State your recommendation for the choice you believe to be best in 60 words or less.
- Justify your decision and why it is worth the risks in 60 words or less including the clear outcome and what it means in financial terms.
With love and best wishes to my CEO, and to you