founder of naked leader
Time to Read: I don’t know
The three most difficult words for any leader to say
“I don’t know”
Why so difficult?
- It makes us look ignorant / stupid
- An admission of failure
- Much advice says if you know the answer, give the answer – if you don’t, pretend to know the answer
- Why so important and powerful as a leader?
- Your role is to lead – you cannot know the answer to everything, it is impossible – make sure you have people in your team who do
- It is a brave admission that cuts through many company cultures, where people clearly don’t know the answer and then spend 5 minutes waffling, only proving they didn’t know the answer in the first place
- It shows honesty – imagine in UK Prime Minister’s Questions if just once, just once please, the Prime Minister answered a question with “I don’t know – I will find out and come back to you.”
See what happens when you say it this week, please let me know (in the comments below), because at the moment, I don’t.
With my love and best wishes