founder of naked leader
When #nevergiveup is actually…eh…unhelpful
The #nevergiveup is really taking off on Twitter…and I realised the other day that as a piece of advice, support and inspiration it is not always helpful.
I am not saying #giveup on #nevergiveup, I am rather suggesting that sometimes giving up, or not starting at all, is an absolute must…for those outcomes that are not so important, vital, and key to you, in your relationships or your organisation.
- Knowing we can achieve anything is not the same as setting out to achieve everything.
- We all have limited time, actions and energies – far more useful to focus on the really important
In your organisation, it’s the 10% of activity that brings in 90% of your value that is key…and as we have shared with so many Client Partners, once you know that 10%, the most innovative thing you can do is to stop doing the other 90%. That’s a simplification that will make and save you time and money, while ensuring that people go home on time.
I have always said there is nothing ‘wrong’ with giving up, and that giving up is always a choice – so perhaps a better hash-tag would be:
Or maybe not (even though its 140 characters)
What outcomes are really important to you in your life, your team, your organisation? #nevergiveup
And, what outcomes are simply not important to you in your life, your team, your organisation? #giveup
With my love and best wishes
PS. Please comment on below
Follow me on twitter @thenakedleader